Toyota Was Not The First…….
…. Car manufacturer in the auto industry to have an alleged run-away car problem.
Do you remember the Yugo?
It had a similar problem, but this issue was seldom spoken about for a few good reasons…..
1. How many of these hardtop lawnmowers did they eventually sell, a few dozen? This was one of the only cars ever made that could make a Soviet made Lada seem like an executive’s car.
2. If one of these did manage to “run away”, it’s likely that no one noticed because they were rarely able to find a speed limit they could break.
3. Even if they could eventually hit 75 MPH (and that’s only likely to happen driving downhill with a strong tail wind), after about 1/2 mile at that speed the engine would melt.
4. Speed rated? Zero to Sixty in one afternoon (on a good day).
Now, answers for these most often asked questions….
1. What’s with all of those little lines in the back window?
Answer: They help keep your hands warm when you have to push start the car in the winter.
2. What was the model called that crossed the river Styx?
Answer: “Yugo to hell”.
3. Did they have a sales pitch that almost worked?
Answer: From Mr. Buckeroo Banzai; “Wherever you are, there Yugo!”
N.B., The ownership of any and all photos, opinions, and/ or quotes above (including those of my own) belong to the material’s creator(s). Credit is given when it’s known, but as everyone knows, success usually has a million parents and failure is an orphan.
Feel free to ignore any ads that are shown below, I don’t get to choose them and even more sadly, I don’t make a penny off any of them, so in the holy name of capitalism I rebuke and don’t endorse or support any of them, unless of course they’re made of funny stuff…..
P.S., check back for occasional updates and rewrites….
FAIR USE NOTICE: THIS SITE CONTAINS COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL THE USE OF WHICH HAS NOT ALWAYS BEEN SPECIFICALLY AUTHORIZED BY THE COPYRIGHT OWNER. I AM MAKING SUCH MATERIAL AVAILABLE IN MY EFFORT TO ADVANCE UNDERSTANDING OF ENVIRONMENTAL, POLITICAL, HUMAN RIGHTS, ECONOMIC, DEMOCRACY, SCIENTIFIC, AND SOCIAL JUSTICE ISSUES, ETC. I BELIEVE THIS CONSTITUTES A ‘FAIR USE’ OF ANY SUCH COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL AS PROVIDED FOR IN SECTION 107 OF THE US COPYRIGHT LAW. IN ACCORDANCE WITH TITLE 17 U.S.C. SECTION 107, THE MATERIAL ON THIS SITE IS DISTRIBUTED WITHOUT PROFIT TO THOSE WHO HAVE EXPRESSED A PRIOR INTEREST IN RECEIVING THE INCLUDED INFORMATION FOR RESEARCH AND EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES. FOR MORE INFORMATION GO TO: HTTP://WWW.LAW.CORNELL.EDU/USCODE/17/107.SHTML. IF YOU WISH TO USE COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL FROM THIS SITE FOR PURPOSES OF YOUR OWN THAT GO BEYOND ‘FAIR USE’, YOU MUST OBTAIN PERMISSION FROM THE COPYRIGHT OWNER.
Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: Do you remember the Yugo?, downhill with a tail wind, little lines in the back window?, there yugo, unlikely to break the speed limit, Wherever you go, you-go nowhere in a yugo, yugo, yugo limo, yugo to hell.